We must get more players into the water, more actors into doing technology for ocean measurements… That is why we started SCOOT and that is why we:
- Put resources in the hands of entrepreneurs.
- Connect entrepreneurs with new partners from industry, academia and the public sector.
Let us give you a small example of how it can work:
A new sensor for ocean currents
from Deepoid AB
- Anna Willstrand Wranne, leader of SMHI’s marine technology group, tells about an interesting company, Deepoid AB, delivering an acoustic modem to SMHI.
- SCOOT’s coordinator contacts Anders Brodin from Deepoid, who says they are working on a new type of logging sensor for ocean currents.
- SCOOT’s coordinator also contacts oceanography professor Göran Broström, who think this sounds interesting and writes to Anders at Deepoid.
- A joint discussion about scope, technical solutions, ambition, time line and funding ensues. (This time without external funders.)
- A new innovation project takes off: Deepoid shall develop, manufacture and deliver 10 current loggers to the University of Gothenburg. The technology is based on position sensing of a pendulum, with minimal weight and minimal power consumption.
Testing in real environment
and communicating results
Last week SCOOT’s coordinator, together with communicator Maria Holmkvist (Centre for Sea and Society) visited Göran and Anders at classic research station Bornö in Gullmarn. We saw Göran cracking theory, while Anders adjusted some of the loggers. Most of all we saw real environment testing and validating data collection (day and night!), new sensors deployed together with traditional acoustic sensors. Göran had brought his mini-ROV, which allowed for inspection and nice underwater photos of the deployed loggers.
SCOOT will continue to follow Deepoid AB and this project. Specifically we want to support the next steps: Communicating with more potential users and finding funding for further development, such as including measurements of temperature and light. We believe this robust and easy to deploy sensor is optimal for:
- Coastal marine research.
- Monitoring around planned or completed constructions, such as aquaculture.
Thoughts? Contact Deepoid and SCOOT: